[freepats] FreePats + FluidR3 merged via modified EAWPATS .cfg files

Eric Welsh ewelsh at biology.wustl.edu
Mon Feb 22 21:24:23 PST 2010

I just learned this weekend that FluidR3 is under a Creative Commons
license and is being included in several Linux distributions.  Sweet!
While I still prefer the FreePats instruments for those that exist,
FluidR3 would be great for filling in all the missing instruments.  It has
a mostly complete GS drum and SFX set too.

So, I started modifying my old EAWPATS config files to merge FreePats and
FluidR3 together.  I still haven't finished updating drumsets 49 and 50,
but all the rest is finished, including all GS and XG SFX banks, and XG
mappings.  There are still a few SFX instruments missing from the patch
sets, I haven't tweaked many amp adjustments, and several of the drums
aren't pitched quite right, but overall it sounds pretty good.  Certainly
very acceptable, and better than either patch set alone.

Would anyone on the list be interested in trying out the new .cfg files
that source both FreePats and the FluidR3 SF2 banks (sans drumsets 49 and
50 for now)?  Would FreePats be interested in including the .cfg files in
its distribution once they are finished?

-Eric