[freepats] free soundfonts

ml at distasis.com ml at distasis.com
Tue Jul 26 16:00:30 PDT 2011

Was recently trying to write some compositions in ABC notation and convert them to wave using Timidity.  It sent me looking to see if there are any new free or Open Source soundfonts out there that might be useful.  Found some links I thought could be worth sharing.

Free soundfonts and the licensing info looks useful:
http://www.ethanwiner.com/ewsf2.html

Behringer Electric Guitar Soundfont
http://www.vstcafe.com/2011/06/cheap-behringer-real-electric-guitar.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319676

There are some instruments samplings at:
http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html
Looks like a couple of people have used them to create soundfonts:
http://freesf2.com/page4/page54/page54.html
http://www.sf2midi.com/soundfonts/file-detail/trumpet_uiowa_miles_tweaked-sf2-3922.html

These looked like interesting sites as well:
http://freesf2.com/
http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/

There were some free samples mentioned here:
http://www.vstcafe.com/2009/06/g-town-church-sampling-project.html
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview.php?t=86956&start=0

These are supposed to be in the public domain, but I'm not sure if they are:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/almarzai/sfe.html

Here's a harp soundfont for non-commercial use:
http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-51217.html?s=3f54864d30fec8a83dae5fe4384c1d6e

Has anyone been able to find a harp soundfont with a more liberal license?

There might be something useful in this list of places that have soundfonts:
http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-samples

Here's another list of soundfonts and samples:
http://www.synthfont.com/links_to_soundfonts.html

If you have any others you like, please share the links.  Thanks.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/recipes/music.htm