[freepats] A idea for a ancient European instruments soundfount

ml at distasis.com ml at distasis.com
Fri Mar 1 11:13:59 PST 2013

On Thu, February 28, 2013 12:02 pm, freepats-request at lists.zenvoid.org wrote:
> Hi, i have a idea of a soundfount with instruments from :
> Sweden,Denmark,Norway,Finland,Shetland Islands, Orkney
> Islands,Iceland,England,Isle of Man, and the regions bordering the
> Baltic Sea.

Sounds really nice.

> The Instruments that i am aware of at present time is:
> Sami drum (frame Drum)
> bukkehorn (ram/goat's horn)

Was thinking of a ram's horn, but see you've mentioned it.  They have a
shop here that sells them (new ones), but they're kind of expensive,
especially the good quality ones.  So, haven't been able to encourage
myself to buy one yet.  A decent quality, open-licensed recording would be
great.

> The collection of sound samples and a soundfount made with them will be
> uploaded to a public server so anyone can use it, and improve it under the
> circumstances that the instruments is from the correct time period and
> from the correct regions. There will of course be control of the quality
> of the soundsamples and the soundfount before it is released to the
> public. I am running Linux ( Kubuntu)
>

> I have some questions:
> What is the best software for making soundfounts that sounds as
> realistic as possible ?

What I learned from some of the members on this list is the best way to
make the soundfonts sound realistic is to get high quality recordings with
good bit resolution.

As to software, I only know of 3 programs for making soundfont files,
Viena (might work under Wine), swami at Sourceforge, sfubar (
http://freepats.zenvoid.org/tools/ ).  Was thinking of looking at the code
for sfubar and checking into how well it worked for this sort of thing.
Looks easier to build from source than swami.

> Where can i upload acquired wav files related to this project ?

http://www.freesound.org/
The Creative Commons lists some other open licensed audio and music sites
too.

Hope you'll keep us apprised of your project's progress.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/recipes/music.htm