[freepats] software project

Ben Collver bencollver at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 17:04:12 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 02:28:25PM -0800, ml at distasis.com wrote:
> I accidentally ran across Rogue Class Linux just the other day when I was
> searching for something else.  Thought it looked really cool.  Funny that
> you should mention the browser, because I was trying to look up what
> browser it was using when it mentioned a lightweight one in the
> description.

Thanks!

> I have some code for converting lynx and D+ browsers into lightweight
> alternatives for programs like dialog, gtkdialog, etc.:
> http://www.distasis.com/cpp/lmbld.htm#lmbldui

I like how minimal your code is.  It does what it needs to do and
nothing more.  One nice thing about using dialog is that it is
relatively easy to re-use existing scripts.  For example, the script
I use to configure isapnp audio in ALSA.

> I wonder how hard it would be to make similar mods to your browser code.

It would be relatively easy to do.  I modified the browser to do
something similar when it opens a file in an external viewer.  Since I
lack a windowing system, I use a command queue.  I queue the browser with
state and the viewer with the file.  I quit browser.  The queued viewer
is launched.  When the user quits the viewer, the queued browser is
launched where it left off.  Inelegant, but it works.

Examples are the "pubcast" viewer and the sfrotz launcher.  Both use an
HTML index with links to local files.

> By the way, if you're interested in an SDL based epub reader that can do
> text-to-speech, let me know.  I can send you information when the author
> makes his next release.

I am interested in an SDL-based epub reader with text-to-speech.  Thanks
in advance for the information.

> If I use SDL, there are currently ports to several systems and devices
> (including Windows and Zune).  If I want to run on Linux outside of X, I
> can use it with DirectFB and possibly nano-x.  Syllable operating system
> also supports the SDL API.  By the way, I think SDL 2 does have support
> for mobile and touch friendly development.

Wayland is desktop oriented and SDL is cross-platform.  Wayland is
probably going to have better application support, which is good for
audio.  SDL is probably going to have better deployment (Android,
iPhone, Steam).

Cheers,

-Ben