[freepats] What synthesizer software is everybody using?

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Tue Aug 23 03:11:28 PDT 2016

On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 11:34:05PM -0400, John Lewis wrote:
> I played /Mechanical Onslaught (Sonic3&Knux bosses' remix) - by Ztrop ~
> 11/01 (Rev Ed 11/02)/ with WildMidi Processing Library 0.3.7 and
> TiMidity++ version 2.13.2, both using generic Debian configured
> Freepats. TiMidity sounded at least twice as good, but it has been
> around much longer and more work has been put into it.

I've used TiMidity++, never used WildMidi but is useful to know about
other libraries, thank you.

Although very different, I'm now fascinated by live coding environments
like Sonic Pi. I've had the opportunity to assist to live performances
by experienced people and I was impressed. It can use samples or can
generate sounds from scratch with coding, take a look at videos and
demos here: http://sonic-pi.net/

Also using soundfonts within Cabbage (http://cabbageaudio.com/),
SuperCollider (http://supercollider.github.io/) and other algorithmic
composition environments. I'm just starting, but already having a lot of
fun with them.