[freepats] Freepats 2.0

John Lewis oflameo2 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 10:05:36 PST 2016

On 12/10/2016 09:03 AM, ml at distasis.com wrote:
> Glad you found some of your favorite tools listed. I tried to add all the
> music programs I've worked with or built from source code.  If you have
> other suggestions that are not listed, let us know.

The only think I can think of now is the beep command
https://linux.die.net/man/1/beep. You can use it to make things like
this
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/18h8v5/does_anyone_have_or_know_a_source_for_beep_scripts/.

ml at distasis.com wrote:

> Roberto wrote:
>> I've made a python utility that takes an extended SFZ text definition
>> plus a set of wav files and automatically builds SF2 sound banks from them
>> (possibly in different sizes/qualities). Most sound banks in the
>> new freepats web site are made this way, and it is a huge time saver. If we
>> manage to extend it with PAT knowledge, the same utility could be used to
>> automatically build all formats from the same wav files, which would be
>> fantastic. I will upload the sources as soon as I have a little free time.
> That sounds useful.  Hope the source is up at the FreePats site soon.  I'm
> seeing more and more SFZ soundfonts files.  However, the programs I use
> still only work with SF2 format.
>
> Sincerely,
> Laura
> http://www.distasis.com/recipes/music.htm

I think rolling everything to the newest soundfront format is the way
forward and it lets the world know that we are in a new era. We will
still have to have at least one way converters from what ever is laying
around to the new format, and we will need a wave to midi converter to
support it. Unfortunately, I don't think timidity++ supports SFZ and it
is the best free software midi to wave converter available to date.

Unsef http://alsa.opensrc.org/Unsf can probably be extended to go the
other direction. GUSSF2-SPEC is only implied by a patched version of
timidity. SF2 support has been on the Wildmidi wishlist since 2014
https://github.com/Mindwerks/wildmidi/issues/8.

I find it odd that Milkytracker supports GUS Patches as instrument
import instead of SF2.

SF3 exists too which is like SF2 but uses compressed samples using OGG
instead of WAV https://musescore.org/en/node/20818. Polyphone supports
SF3 and SFZ already. We may want to put a link to this page discussing
the newer Sound Font formats on the wiki
http://polyphone-soundfonts.com/en/documentation/manual/the-different-formats/148.

Do you think it is possible to get the of the actively maintained
programs like Milkytracker to integrate SF2 support so it can be used as
the baseline for Sample-based synthesis going forward and make our jobs
easier because we can maintain our soundbanks in just 2 formats SF2 and
SFZ+WAV until SFZ eventually takes over?

I just found a wav2pat in
http://www.onicos.com/staff/iz/timidity/dist/tools-1.1.0/wav2pat.c. I
don't know if it still builds. Now mid email I am thinking it may be
better idea to nudge everyone to SFZ because there is a
https://www.mankier.com/1/sfz2pat too. It is part of the
soundfont-utils**package on fedora based distros
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=soundfont-utils&srodzaj=3,
but I can't seem to find the upstream version on
http://alsa.opensrc.org/GusSoundfont. (just went full circle)

SFZ+WAV just looks like what I would imagine a modern midi to wave
converter would use and it is completely royalty free
http://ariaengine.com/overview/sfz-format/. A lot of people like SFZ
already http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2921607.