[freepats] FreePats Digest, Vol 19, Issue 2

ml at distasis.com ml at distasis.com
Thu Dec 29 11:30:59 PST 2016

On Sat, December 10, 2016 John Lewis wrote:
>  Unfortunately, I don't think timidity++ supports SFZ and it is the
> best free software midi to wave converter available to date.

Don't know of too many cross-platform programs that support SFZ.  There
are some newer Linux/POSIX only ones that support SFZ.

I tend to stick with Timidity++ and Milkytracker, so if it doesn't work
with them, I'm not that interested.

Timidity++ has active development.  I see posts on development every so
often.  You could ask on their mailing list if they could add SFZ support.
 The answer will likely be that if you add it, they may put your patch
into the latest version.  However, someone on the list might be willing to
do something.  I asked about better Karaoke support for midi files
converted from ABC notation a few years ago.  Would have done the
modifications myself, but a developer on the Timidity++ mailing list
actually went ahead and fixed it after I asked about it.

I don't know how active Milkytracker development is now.  It used to be
very active, but I haven't seen updates in a while.

> SF3 exists too which is like SF2 but uses compressed samples using OGG
> instead of WAV https://musescore.org/en/node/20818.

Don't know if everyone else is aware, but was surprised on the ogg vorbis
list (at Xiph) when they mentioned ogg vorbis was deprecated.  I think the
ogg container format is still actively supported though.

> I just found a wav2pat in
> http://www.onicos.com/staff/iz/timidity/dist/tools-1.1.0/wav2pat.c. I
> don't know if it still builds.

I seem to remember finding this or a similar tool and thinking it was
pretty useless.  It might have been a pat2wav program or wav2pat.  Don't
remember; would have to check might notes.  Did get it to build.  I can
get almost anything to build.  The conversion process on my sample file
did not produce anything usable.

By the way, I have a series of build tools I'm working, so if anyone needs
build scripts (similar to Slackbuilds scripts but cross-platform) to get
something specific to build, let me know.  I may already have a script for
it.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/recipes/music.htm