[freepats] Freepats 2.0?

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Tue Feb 2 10:44:34 PST 2016

It is good to know that people may still be lurking here, this list has
been quiet since years. I think that the Freepats project deserves a
revival effort. Here are a few (probably not very well organized)
ideas...

A renewed web site seems important. Reorganizing content and writing
clear and simple instructions can help people who want to contribute
their own samples.

At the same time I can release a few original soundfonts that I made
long ago and that were never published, new fresh content is always a
good thing.

In longer term, it would be good to have some sort of collaborative
environment. Someone may make raw recordings of a toy music box, tuned
water glasses, the soprano voice of her sister... but the uploader may
not have knowledge or time to make a digital instrument from those
recordings. Other person can take the task of processing and building a
soundfont. Coordinating those tasks from a web interface would be easier
for most people... until then, there is the mailing list.

It will take some months until those things start to happen (supposing
that they actually happen), but people still reading this list please
feel free to suggest things, make things, or start recording things for
Freepats 2.0 ;)