[freepats] Freepats 2.0

John Lewis oflameo2 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 11:13:22 PDT 2016

On 07/23/2016 01:44 PM, ml at distasis.com wrote:
> John Lewis wrote:
>> I would like Freetpats 2.0. I have quite a few suggestions.
> Nice to see some activity on the Freepats list.

I agree

>> 2. Make it easy to use new Freepats sound fonts.
>>
>> It would probably follow from one just from putting things in version
>> control. The distributions will start packaging it.
> I think a lightweight sound font set for netbooks and older machines would
> be a useful package.  So far, all I've been able to dig up are larger
> sound fonts with better quality.  Of course, that's useful for machines
> with more memory and for creating your own music.

I am going to check on getting a large sound font and or gus patch on my
Thinkpad x140e and one of my Raspberry Pi 3's.
>> 3. Better documentation.
>>
>> https://github.com/psi29a/unsf is the only way I know how to make a GUS
>> patch. I don't know how to set a system soundfont/gus patch in pulseaudio.
> I was going through command line tools for audio programs.  I'm sure I've
> seen some other tools for gus patches and sounds fonts.  Not sure how well
> they work though.  I can check through my links and packages if you're
> interested.
>
> I have some documentation I wrote on using ABC notation to create midi
> files at http://www.distasis.com/recipes/music.htm

A study needs to bee done then.
>> 4. More Demos.
>>
>> I would like to see the new capabilities of software midi. I understand
>> that at this point, I would probably doing a lot of tedious trail blazing
>> at this point, but I still want to see it.
> I've been looking for a decent lightweight midi Karaoke player with no
> luck.  Ran across an interesting article on using some midi Karaoke
> libraries including Timidity++.  Wanted to look into writing a SDL or
> PDCurses front-end that did a better job of displaying Karaoke lyrics with
> the midi music.  Haven't had much time to work on it though.

I want to turn wildmidi into a system midi server, but GNU/Linux hasn't
had midi servers in a decade. I don't know the process of configuring one.

>> I probably am going to start doing more with freepats soon, because I
>> need to bring something to maker Faire Pittsburgh this year.
> Will definitely be interested in seeing what you come up with.  At this
> point, I'm interested in lightweight, cross-platform music software that
> doesn't require a lot of dependencies to build.

I am going to attempt to download the entire Freepats website and store
it under git. I am also going to open an issue with Wildmidi and Debian
about this.