[freepats] a pack of simple waveform samples

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Tue Aug 1 07:11:34 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 11:45:27PM -0400, John lewis wrote:
> I am looking for a pack of simple waveform samples to load into
> milkytracker so I can make chiptunes.

Hello! Chiptunes are very easy to create within milkytracker using
builtin square wave and noise generation, no external samples needed!
I've made imitation of classic videogame music with them:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BROdcWdjrT5/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTleADfl7ti/

Most 8 bit computers and old videoconsole audio chips generate music by
pulses (square waves) and white noise. For example, the AY-3-8910 that
was used on the ZX Spectrum 128K can make up to three channels of square
waves and/or noise mixed.

Because games usually take one channel for sound effects, only two
channels remain for music. For this reason, chords are made with fast
arpeggios (milkytracker effect Axx) in only one channel. Those arpeggios
are the most recognizable feature in classic chiptune sounds. You can
make almost perfect chiptune imitation with arpeggios and square/noise
signals (in milkytracker sample editor, right click in the wave view and
select Generators -> Square).