[freepats] Polysynth Pad

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Wed Aug 23 14:15:39 PDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 07:02:20PM -0400, Tyler Dence wrote:
> Alright, attempt #2. The first attempt sounded flat and boring. I think
> I've figured out what was wrong, as well as smoothed over some of the
> samples.

Both of them sound good to me. The second one seems to have a low pass
filter and longer attack time, but actually I would prefer the first one
for the GM sound bank, because sounds more like the Polysynth Pad
included in classic Roland and Yamaha synthesizers (with rich high
frequency components).

However, there is a problem, I can hear a distortion and strange
frequencies, most noticeable in higher pitched notes (probably caused by
strong aliasing?). What program did you use for creating the samples?

Try to search for an anti-aliasing option in program settings. If there
is no such option, then there is a trick that works sometimes: it should
be possible to minimize the artifacts by configuring the software for
very high sample rate (192KHz) and then resampling to 48KHz with
Audacity or any other aliasing-aware program. Please do one test first,
to be sure that it works and strange frequencies are gone. If it
doesn't, then we need to figure what is causing the distortion.

Then we would need loops (pads should be infinite). I can help you to
create loops if you want.