[freepats] Using samples in sound trackers

ml at distasis.com ml at distasis.com
Wed Jan 4 09:04:11 PST 2017

On Fri, December 30, Roberto wrote:
>> Don't know if everyone else is aware, but was surprised on the ogg
>> vorbis list (at Xiph) when they mentioned ogg vorbis was deprecated.  I
>> think the ogg container format is still actively supported though.
>
> I'm not a fan of lossy formats for samples, but I usually use it for the
> final music, so I'm surprised too. If vorbis is deprecated, what is the
> alternative that they consider we should be using instead? Can you please
> paste the link to the full discussion?

I believe there's also a lossless format that works with ogg.

It was mentioned on the ogg vorbis mailing list that Xiph deprecated ogg
vorbis.  That's how I found out about it.  The OpusFAQ -
https://wiki.xiph.org/OpusFAQ - says that Ogg Vorbis and speex are being
replaced by Opus.

>> By the way, I have a series of build tools I'm working, so if anyone
>> needs build scripts (similar to Slackbuilds scripts but cross-platform)
>> to get something specific to build, let me know.  I may already have a
>> script for it.
>
> Thank you Laura. Do you have a git repository?

Not using a git repository for my patches and scripts.  You'll find some
of the scripts and projects I'm working on, if you follow the archive link
on this page,
http://www.distasis.com/cpp/lmbld.htm

> Speaking of trackers, I remember many trouble while trying to build
> Radium months ago. Building without the proprietary dependencies for VST
> plugins would be even better, but don't know if it's possible. Maybe you
> have some experience building Radium?

Haven't tried Radium yet.

Sincerely,
Laura