[freepats] New instrument released: Hang

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Wed Sep 6 05:05:05 PDT 2017

I'm happy to announce that we now have a Hang in FreePats:

http://freepats.zenvoid.org/ChromaticPercussion/hang.html

I've made a simple demo video, with the clarinet (sent by Tyler Dence a
few days ago), a very short hang loop, and a short drum kit loop (using
Colombo acoustic drum kit). Recorded with a mobile phone in one hand,
and MIDI keyboard and mouse in the other :D

The hang is a pitched percussion instrument, made of steel and commonly played
with the hands. It is not in the General MIDI instrument list, but it is made
available as a standalone instrument for your musical enjoyment.

Currently provided in Hydrogen drum kit format, others are in
development.

Note that, unlike most instruments, we can't create a sound bank with missing
semitones simulated by using pitch variation. This is because the special
acoustic characteristics of the hang; its harmonic content is not
proportional to the main pitch, instead, it's fixed to one particular
tuning (D minor in this case). The hang produces a warm sound with
"automatic chords" in background. If we modify the pitch of one sample,
all harmonics will be displaced as well, and it won't sound good.

More instruments are in development :)