[freepats] New Patreon page

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Fri Nov 16 10:41:59 PST 2018

Hello list. FreePats is progressing very slow, and I'm trying to improve
the situation by two ways:

1. Thinking of a better workflow that makes cooperation easier, and
documenting common guidelines and procedures to make easier to continue
works started by others. Already working on this.

2. Finding a source of income. FreePats will always be a non-profit
project, but if there is income, it will be invested in the project
itself, making it advance faster. And admittedly, we will never reach
the quality of commercial sound banks when works are created on a hurry
with limited resources.

We could rent professional studios, pay musicians and technicians for
making the hard work when we can't get the time, find and rent rare
instruments, or maybe hire a full orchestra.

And, how do we plan to make income for a project that wishes to give
everything for free? That question it's far from being solved:

* Ads are discarded, they annoy visitors for very little revenue.

* Premium content for paid subscribers is also discarded, it would be
against our wishes. We don't want to finance the development of free
sound banks by creating non-free ones, contradicting ourselves.

* Crowdfunding and membership (as patreon.com) could be a possible way.
It's quite difficult to achieve, only a tiny percent of projects get
positive results this way, but we are currently testing it anyways:

  https://www.patreon.com/freepats

If the campaign is not successful, I will personally continue paying for
the costs of equipment and servers and we will continue to work like
before. Slow as ever, but FreePats will continue in either case, no
worries.