[freepats] midicomp - bad archive upload at freepats.zendvoid.org

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Tue Dec 20 10:01:20 PST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 09:17:49AM -0800, Phil Cooper wrote:
> I tried opening the source code for midicomp, downloaded from
> http://freepats.zenvoid.org/tools/midicomp/midicomp-0.0.4.tar.gz, but
> GNOME File Roller 2.30 said it's corrupt.  Actually, the file isn't
> corrupt -- it's just not a .tar.gz file.  I changed the name to
> midicomp-0.0.4.tar.zip, and then it could be opened without problems,
> because it's actually a .zip file.  The archive should either be
> replaced with a file named midicomp-0.0.4.zip or recreated correctly as
> a .tar.gz file.  I've attached a recreated archive file named
> midicomp-0.0.4.tar.gz that is a real .tar.gz file, to replace the
> misnamed .zip file.

I have no idea why File Roller opens it when renamed into .zip, it is
not a zip...

$ file midicomp-0.0.4.tar.gz
midicomp-0.0.4.tar.gz: POSIX tar archive (GNU)

It is an uncompressed tar file (.tar file, not .tar.gz) , I guess
someone forgot to add the -z option when creating the archive ;)

It is fixed now, thanks for reporting.