[freepats] Freepats 2.0

ml at distasis.com ml at distasis.com
Sun Jul 31 05:13:38 PDT 2016

Roberto wrote:
> We can preserve everything that has both a copyright and a free license
> attached. For everything else, it is actually easier and faster to replace
> it. At the same time we can fix another issue: license compatibility.
>
> If you have some time please take a look at the "work in progress" lists
> of suitable and not suitable licenses:
>
> http://freepats.zenvoid.org/beta/licenses.html
> http://freepats.zenvoid.org/beta/unsuitable-licenses.html

I'll take a look.  FSF has a nice table of what licenses are compatible
with GPL 2 and 3 and LGPL.  If you need a link to it, let me know.

> Thank you very much, let's start writing the new Wiki then :)
>

> I've just created a FreePats organization on Github to place the new
> Wiki (suggested by Mark by private email, I've just learn that it was
> possible to do that). Just tell me your github user and I will add you as a
> member.

I believe my user name on github is lm8.  Will be happy to see what I can
add to the wiki once I have access.

Do we want to cover only soundfonts and patch related topics on the wiki
or are we interested in other Open Source music software that can be used
for creating music as well?  Do we want information on the wiki about
other sites that offer instrument recordings/soundfonts/patches that have
Open licenses?

Mark wrote:
>I'll create an old legacy area and
>repost some old pages from older wikis... mainly for historical context.

Glad we're not starting from scratch and throwing everything away.

I have links to the old FreePats site at Schoolforge (schoolforge.net) and
my web site.  I'll update them to the new location when I get a chance.

Can we put something at the old site referring to the new location and
asking people to update their links if they're pointing to the old site?

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/