[freepats] What synthesizer software is everybody using?

ml at distasis.com ml at distasis.com
Sun Oct 2 07:17:44 PDT 2016

John Lewis wrote:
> In fact
> Wikipedia page is inaccurate about TiMidity. It says TiMidity hasn't
> been updated since 2012, but its official page on source forge says it has
> last been updated a mere two months ago
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/timidity/.

I subscribe to the TiMidity++ mailing list, so I see the patches and
discussion of fixes as they get posted to the list.  It's unfortunate that
many sources don't realize there are updates or aren't interested in the
TiMidity++ updates.  I wrote to the Debian maintainer of TiMidity++ a
while ago asking that they update to a version later than the old tarball
that's in the Sourceforge archive.  There have been many fixes to midi and
Karaoke processing since then.  The distribution maintainers don't seem
interested in having an up-to-date version of TiMidity++.  It's one of the
few cross-platform, open source Karaoke players I've been able to find.

I've been adding links to the new Freepats wiki.  I included a link to
information about audio on Linux systems which has some great tutorials on
how to use TiMidity++ and some other Midi libraries to code your own midi
applications.  I also added a link to a FLTK based Midi application that
uses rtmidi.

I keep looking for some other Open Source Karaoke options besides
TiMidity++, but haven't had much luck.  Hoping at some point to write
another front end for TiMidity++ using SDL that displays lyrics, if I have
time.  abcmidi, abcm2ps and TiMidity++ are my favorite tools for
developing music on my computer.

Also, if anyone's interested, I've been bug fixing the APCStudio code so
it works with the latest version of FLTK.  APCStudio is a lightweight wave
file/audio editor.  It's nowhere near as advanced as Audacity, but it has
a lot fewer build dependencies and is a lot more lightweight (good for low
resource computers).

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/recipes/music.htm