[freepats] MSLP samples

Nikita Zlobin cook60020tmp at mail.ru
Thu Jul 18 06:13:42 PDT 2019

Thanks for your reply :)

> > But begining of licensing readme (MLSM LICENSE READ ME.txt) has
> > following claim (don't mind letter case, just pasted as is):
> >
> > IMPORTANT!!!
> > I CHOSE THE 'CC BY-NC' LICENSE TO STOP ANYONE FROM SELLING THE
> > SAMPLES. BUT THE SAMPLES ARE FREE TO USE FOR ANY CREATIVE MUSICAL
> > PURPOSES.
> [...]
>
> Stopping anyone from selling the samples is not good. I receive
> sometimes email from people using our samples as sound effects in
> videogames or multimedia products, or bundled with hardware products,
> for commercial purposes. And they are not making music with our
> samples but including the samples themselves.
>
> It is indeed discouraging that they don't share a tiny part of their
> revenue with us, which will be useful to give a boost to FreePats, but
> we've choosen to make our samples under a free license on purpose, and
> supporting FreePats will be always optional, not mandatory.
>
> There are other problems too:
>
> - Those samples won't be accepted in free software distributions like
> Debian GNU/Linux if they can't be sold.

Great surprise for me, I really did not know this. Would be nice to add
this moment to license requirements on About page. I only posted that
chunk to show claim that attribution requirement is rather soft, if not
optional.

> > As for why I wonder about it. This is only place, where I found
> > samples true symphonic bass drum - really big, not even smaller
> > version, more suitable for music college student orchestra. It
> > sounds very similar to one, used in SSO, whose readme clearly
> > mentions MSLP among sources.
>
> It's a pity :(
>
> We have a pending recording session to record a few orchestral
> instruments, but unfortunatelly I don't know when we could create
> them.

Yeah, just a moment, when I think, that some instruments don't use
samples at full potentional, though I could be mistaken.

First reading this, I though it is about samples (how they are real) -
most orchestral drums I could find on tube sound deep like timpany.
I though that MSLP or g-town bass drum samples are rather composed,
until something, what g-town bass drum samples resemble better (looks
like just matter of audio gear):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srftf-2rfH0