[freepats] MSLP samples

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Thu Jul 18 16:01:39 PDT 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 06:13:42PM +0500, Nikita Zlobin wrote:
> > - Those samples won't be accepted in free software distributions like
> > Debian GNU/Linux if they can't be sold.
>
> Great surprise for me, I really did not know this. Would be nice to add
> this moment to license requirements on About page. I only posted that
> chunk to show claim that attribution requirement is rather soft, if not
> optional.

I'll attempt to clarify it, thank you for the heads up. Currently it
says:

  "Sound samples should be compatible with the Open Source definition
  and Debian Free Software Guidelines. This ensures compatibility with
  most GNU/Linux distributions"

I agree that it sounds very technical, it may be improved by adding
comments on what it means for a program (or instrument bank) to be open
source / free software. The Free Software Foundation has a document
titled "What is free software?" that we can use for reference:

  "A free program must be available for commercial use, commercial
  development, and commercial distribution. Commercial development of
  free software is no longer unusual; such free commercial software is
  very important. You may have paid money to get copies of free
  software, or you may have obtained copies at no charge. But regardless
  of how you got your copies, you always have the freedom to copy and
  change the software, even to sell copies."

(Quoted from https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html )

When the concept of "free software" is applied to sound banks, they must
allow "commercial use, development and distribution", not only the music
made with them but the sounds themselves.